I have been alive on planet earth for 40 years(14600 days). That seems like a really fucking long time! I honestly didn’t think I would live past 27 so I must say it’s a really nice surprise to have made it this far.
Given the amount of abuse I put my body through and the dangerous situations I have been in I don’t think its an exaggeration to say that it’s a modern miracle that I am still alive.
This birthday seems different. I feel like I am part of the special over 40’s club, which gives me some gravitas. I sort of feel like I need to make a speech about the things I’ve learned or something. Instead of making a speech I’ll just do a bullet list, saves time and we all know how much I love lists:)
Things I’ve learned in my 40 years on planet earth…
1) Alcohol is shit. Don’t drink it no matter what!
Seriously though, it makes you do stupid things, it makes you hate yourself and it makes you sick. It’s actually mind-boggling why the rest of world are still insisting on drinking the stuff!
2) Being in recovery is bad ass. Once you get over the shame and the guilt and all of the things you start realising that being in recovery is actually something to really be proud of. Its fucking awesome!
3) You are not your addiction or the things you did in active addiction. You are a divine being worthy of love.
4) Love yourself! Life is too short to carry on hating yourself, it hasn’t worked so far so try something different. Work on your feelings of worthiness, love and belonging and EVERYTHING will change.
5) Yoga is awesome – Get high on your own supply people! Pranayama, Kundalini or a hard core rocket class can get you out of your mind NATURALLY with no side effects:)
6) Don’t take yourself or life too seriously. It’s meant to be a dance! Try to go with the flow…life will have its’ way…try to laugh more, even through the shit times, it helps!
7) When you buy foil there are little perforated indents in the side of the box, when push them in the roll stays put. Cant believe I only found that out last year. You can thank me later:)
8) Music heals. Listen to music, make music, sing and dance!!! its your god given right and don’t stop doing it just because you are sober.
9) Guard your natural instincts and creativity with a veracity of a tigress! Don’t let the culture we live in permeate into your subconscious. Make time for being creative and for other nurturing pursuits. Put it on the top of your list.
10) You are enough! Just as you are! Be your own Mark Darcy and remind yourself of this every day. You don’t have to lose that last 5 kilos or achieve massive success at work first! You are enough JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!
Lots of love sober peeps.